Friday, March 17, 2017

NGSS in China

By Guest Author - Priscilla Barcellos, Lakeview Kindergarten Teacher

When I was told that I would be teaching a lesson to a group of kindergarteners in China, I immediately thought about doing an NGSS lesson. I had been working really hard with a team of teachers on developing and teaching a Forces and Motion unit for IDEAS 2.0 and wanted to showcase this very revolutionary style of teaching science to Chinese teachers. I also know how much my own students were engaged in the same lessons and knew that the Chinese students would enjoy the experience.


I chose a lesson called “Crash It, Move It” in which students use a ramp to move a ball that then crashes into a wooden block. Students compare two different balls to see which one had the stronger force on the block. The balls have significantly different masses (lighter and heavier). I knew that with the potential language barrier, this lesson was very visual and tactile which helps all students learn no matter the circumstances.


I began the lesson with a group of 20 five-year-olds and a room full of Chinese teachers and principals. I knew little about the group that I was teaching, but was informed that these students have been learning English from an English-speaking teacher for a small portion of each day. My “Engage” part of the lesson sequence was asking them to somehow make the block move. One student came up and pushed the block with her finger. Another pushed it too, but I pointed out that you can also pull it in the opposite direction. I drew arrows on the whiteboard showing a push and a pull on a block. I then introduced the two balls and explained that they could use other objects to push the block. I spent quite a few minutes modeling how to conduct the investigation, especially because there were a lot of steps, they were so young, and they knew very little English.  I even explained how to take turns and collaborate. I had a few students come up and show the class how to roll the ball and mark with a colored sticker where the block stopped. We did a few examples and then had each group go to their tables where the ramps and recording board were already set up for them.


It was now time to “Explore.” The students had a lot of fun rolling the ball and watching the block move forward. They then correctly took the colored sticker and placed it under where the block stopped. We had a few adults help make sure they were understanding the directions and it seemed that they did. They were even taking turns and helping each other.


Finally, we came back to the front and reviewed the recording boards to “Explain” their thinking. We looked at all five of recording sheets and then we talked about the words “farther” and “closer.”  The students could not really explain in words what they learned, but when I used my arms to show farther, they said “yes!” when referring to the pink ball’s impact on the block. I then put my arms up like I was strong and they agreed that the pink ball had a stronger force. I also made the motion for heavier and made the connection between how heavy the ball was and the strength of the force.

Still unsure if they understood the concept, I asked the principal to ask in Mandarin what they learned and it was clear to her based on their response that they understood. The experience was so exciting and the teachers were so attentive the whole time as I taught. After the lesson, I answered a few questions and explained how the new NGSS standards have revolutionized science in school.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment